The Czech Republic has 3 network operators:
- O2 owned by spanish Telefónica
- T-mobile owned by german Deutsche Telekom
- Vodafone (british-owned)
2G/GSM covers all of the country on 900 and 1800 Mhz like in the rest of Europe. 3G/UMTS is on 2100 Mhz in most of the areas. 4G/LTE is only starting in Prague on 1800 Mhz (o2, t-mobile) and 900 Mhz (Vodafone) and not yet available to prepaid costumers.
O2 generally has the best coverage and speed nationwide, followed by t-mobile and Vodafone as smallest network.
SIM cards are available in the stores of the network operators with photo ID. Recharge vouchers can be bought at many kiosks, post offices and petrol stations.
O2EditO2 still has the best coverage in the country giving you good speed and coverage.
O2 stores will sell you a SIM card for around 300kr: O2 Store Locator with the same credit preloaded.These are all PIN protected and the PIN is printed on the frame you press the SIM out. To get your phone settings, text "IVMNASTAV" to 999555. You will receive an SMS shortly afterwards with details. If asked for a PIN code, use 12345 or 1234. Top up vouchers can be found at o2 stores, kiosks, petrol stations and supermarkets for CZK 200, 300 and 500.
All tarifs can add the same data packages, so the product lines only differ for calls and texts. You can add the following packages.
- Internet on your mobile S: 50 MB in 7 days for CZK 50, activation code: IVMS
- Internet on your mobile M: 375 MB in 7 days for CZK 90, activation code: IVMM
- Internet on your mobile L: 3 GB in 30 days for CZK 550, activation code: IVML
- internet on your mobile XL: 10 GB in 30 days for CZK 800, activation code: IVMXL
For activation text the code to 999111. The package will renew every week/month if there is enough credit. To disenable text DIV# (# = package size) to 999111.
The default rate outside of package is CZK 30 for 24 hours and 30 MB with the first hour charged a maximum of CZK 15. After reaching this or the package limit, speed will be reduced to 16 kbps.
- APN: "internet"
- Check balance with *104*#
- Generally standard SIM cards are available which can be cut to mini or nano SIM.
- O2 doesn't allow tethering and disenable it on iOs. On Android phones it is possible. Other providers don't restrict.
- Website (partly in english): o2 mobile internet
VodafoneEditVodafone is the smallest of the 3 nationwide network providers in the Czech Republic. It can give you good coverage and speed in the towns but can be patchy on the countryside.
A prepaid czech Vodafone SIM costs 300 CZK and comes with 300 CKZ of credit. The default PIN is 1234 and the SIM is automatically activated when placed in your phone. The SIM is available in Vodafone stores (store locator) and kiosks. Top ups are not possible online with a non-czech credit card. Vouchers are sold by post offices, kiosks, supermarkets, betting halls etc. for CZK 200, 500 and 1200. It doesen't matter which prepaid line from Vodafone you buy as long as your are using data only as the packages are all the same for prepaid.
You can sign up for a data option when you buy the SIM but be sure not to use data until you get a confirmation SMS. You will get 9 SMS in all! The SMS will begin with "Dobry den, prave jste zahajili vyuzivani sluzby Internet v mobilu na den." The best way for signing up is online on the Self Care Center (which is available in english):
- 500 MB for 249 CZK. Upsize: extra 500 MB for 201 CZK
- 1.5 GB for 399 CZK. Upsize: extra 1 GB for 201 CZK
- 4 GB for 519 CZK. Upsize: extra 1 GB for 201 CZK
- 20 GB "unlimited" for 999 CZK
- daily rate (= 24 hours) and 25 MB max for 25 CZK. This is the default tarif.
- 2 days rate (= 48 hrs) and 500 MB max for 75 CZK
- weekly rate and 60 MB max for 49 CZK, Upsize: extra 60 MB for 39 CZK
When data volume is used up, lines will be slowed down. Once a data plan is activated it remains in effect for one month and is renewed automatically until you cancel it yourself. If you do not have enough credit at the time of renewal, your rate will automatically change to the basic Vodafone mobile Internet on that day. The daily rate renews automatically every day on the same principal.
- APN: internet.
- SIM sizes: comes as Flexi SIM, so both standard and micro SIMs are supported
- ====Tethering: Yes====
T-MobileEditCzech T-Mobile has good 2G and 3G coverage throughout the Czech Republic rivalling with o2: t-mobile coverage map
Their prepaid line is called Twist and sold in t-mobile stores store locator and the markets of Mall, Alza, Comfor, CZC and Electro World. Top ups can be made in a lot of agencies.
A Twist prepaid SIM card is sold for CZK 200 with a balance of CZK 200 on it. The card has a PIN that is printed on the card holder along with the other codes.
Their default rate (out of bundle) is cheap 0.40 CZK per MB.
- 25 MB in a day (24 hrs) for 24 CZK (daily cap)
- 40 MB in a week for 39.33 CZK (weekly cap)
- 300 MB in a month for 240.99 CZK
- SIM sizes: the Twist SIM has a cut-out line suggesting that it can be converted to Micro-SIM format
- Tethering: allowed
- APN: internet.t-mobile.cz
COOP MobilEditCOOP Mobil is a MvoO operating on the czech Vodafone network. It is sold exclusively at the COOP supermarkets throughout the Czech Republic: store locator. Top ups can be made there too and in some kiosks. Vouchers are available for CZK 150, 250 and 400.
The prepaid SIM card in tarif "Start" is sold for CZK 200 with a balance of CZK 200 on it. The startup credit is valid for 3 months.
The default tariff is CZK 20 for 25 MB per day = 24 hours. After data is used up the speed will be reduced. Further 25 MB packs can be bought online for 20 CZK.
Two monthly packs are available:
- 300 MB for 159 CZK, upsize: 100 MB for 60 CZK
- 1 GB for 399 CZK, no upsize.
All the addons and monthly packages must be booked by calling costumer service *55 free of charge which may be tricky in english.
- SIM stays active outgoing for 3 months and incoming for 6 months after the last top up
- Credit stays valid for 3 month